Thursday 2 April 2009

Homeless people begging

The problem

How many times have you passed beyond poor, homeless or begging people? How many times have you met in buses singing or playing or just coercing from you money gypsy mother with little child in her arms? Have you ever given them some money?


http://www.savingadvice.com/images/blog/begging.jpg


Living rough or being homeless as it is known, has become ‘common’ thing, if you live in a busy town you will walk past homeless people quite a lot, if you live in a quieter area then it might not be a problem.


Any reasons?

There are many reasons why people get homeless. The most common is alcohol then drugs, some private problems with a partner/husband/wife and deep depression related with getting the sack. Everyone have bad experiences, everyone sometimes is woeful but is it a reason to become out of society? There are many institutions that help people in shaking themselves together. The problem is that they don’t want to accept the help because it is easier to sit on a street and imitate ‘poor and powerless’ and without doing anything get money to live on.


There is always demand for jobs that others do not want, it’s not easy but with some sort of effort it’s not hard to get a job and get your life back on track, the thing that annoys me is you never see a homeless person making any effort to do this.


From '5 News' Homeless people who won't work for food


look: http://www.beggingonline.com/


To give or not to give
The question that always hits me when walking past a ‘homeless’ person - should I give them money? My personal answer is that I have never given any homeless person any money. Few times I was asked if I had some money for food. So, I have gone to a grocery and bought some bread and sausage, but I haven’t seen what happened with that food. However it is better than giving money which they probably spend on cigarettes, booze or drugs. I also don’t want to give my cash to mafia – you are wrong if you think that these little gypsy children will have better life – 80% of your 5PLN will get mafia and won’t change anyone’s life.


http://www.lclark.edu/~piolog/05-12-02/homeless5.JPG


Charities

The problem might be solved by charities and people that have some smart and well considered ideas to help homeless and begging people by giving them chance to change their lives, not money. Our polish ‘CARITAS’ help in such way. Their motto sounds: ‘www.bezdomni.pl is our only one address’. If you want to help, you can find there information about number of bank account.

I hope that this problem is sorted out because it is a growing problem especially with the rise of taxes and the general inflation of house prices, it is now becoming harder for people to keep a place, I hope this problem is solved or starts to clear up very soon.


http://www.homeless.org.uk/


16 comments:

  1. Do you remember song of Phil Colins "Another Day in Paradise"? He sings:
    She calls out to the man on the street
    "sir, can you help me?
    It´s cold and i´ve nowhere to sleep
    Is there somewhere you can tell me?"
    Homeless people have not happiness or they lost their normal life. We shouldn't yammer:
    "Oh, lord, is there nothing more anybody can do?
    Oh, lord, there must be something you can say?" but we should help them judiciously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my opinion, when you have no money, standing on the street and asking for them is the easiest way to solve that problem. I agree that it is not the rule that beggars are just lazy people who want to cheat on us all, but it is like that usually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The problem of beggars is a complicated matter that cannot be solved with just a few acts of charity. In my opinion most of them are people who had bad luck in life but on the other hand they also do little to stand on their feet even when someone tries to help them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my family town we have this place where homeless people can sleep and get something to eat. As far as I know the rooms are empty, why? Because before you enter the building you have to sign a document that you will quit with all addictions like alcohol and drugs.
    Sometimes I give few zł to poor people, but only if a see that they are making an effort, like playing on something or selling flowers. What gypsy do drives me crazy, especially this accent they act! Once when I was exhousted coming back home from work I told this young gypsy woman that she should find a job instead of whipping, her kid hit me in a face! Can you imagine?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't give money to beggers at all. I'm almost sure that, they would spend it on drugs, alcohol, cigarettes etc.
    For different cause I don't give money to the gipsys. To beg is their culture and natural way of life. They beg for half a year and for the other half they live in normal way. So why should I give them money uf they already have it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don’t give money to beggers at all, because there are too many people, who are asking me for it. I agree that it isn’t nice, when you are passing poor and homeless people, especially poor children, but giving money to them don’t solve their problems. They are only making a habit of begging. In my opinion they can ask for help the organization, who are helping homeless people. In my opinion people, who are really poor don’t beg, because it is too degrading for them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't give money to beggers too. Once I have a case that some young man came up to me and asked me for some money for something to eat. There were a grocer's shop on the corner so I told him that I will not give him money but I can buy him something. I heard just - kiss my ass... Deduction is quite simple - most part of money that we give to beggers goes for alcohol or drugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think in the same way like you. I suppose that all money are spent on cigarettes or alcohol. What is more the most irritated thing is when you propose to buy something to eat and they don’t want. However, I had situations when beggars asked me about food. Obviously, I don’t have heart to refuse them. I bought rolls or buns and yoghurt. And I really felt that I made something important
    My relevant told me that on the Cracow Suburbs is woman on the wheelchair very often, who is begging.. But what is interesting, every Monday arrives big car and women is left on the middle street. It’s absurd..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't give money to beggers, but when I pass homeless people I'm quite confused. I know, not all of them are cheaters but how to recognize it??
    People are different and there is something like localization of control - it can be inside or outside of us. I think homeless have strong belief of external control localization, and their doldrums.
    I always donate musican on the streets. This people, often very talented, don't want money for free - they aren't beggers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My opinion is quite the same like the others. I don’t give money to beggers at all because I don't know who of them really need help. Maybe they will go and buy alcohol or drugs? Sometimes when I see old people begging for the money I give them few zl. Maybe they don't have anything to eat? It's very difficult to say why they begging. That's why: you need money? Start working and you won't have problems!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with you all, I don't give money to beggers too, but it doesn't change the fact that every time pasing by them for me it's a real moral problem.
    It is sad but I don't know how to solve this problem... How to react? Don't know...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I disagree with many person in this forum.I think if you see a homeless person, you should have enough heart to take one minute of your day and buy them some coffee or something to eat.Homeless people have just made bad decisions or got in a shotty situation and deserve a second chance, in most cases. Have heart!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think that homeless people just want to be homeless. (Do you remember musical Metro?) If they are homeless, they can go to MONAR or other charity. One condition - they can't drink. It's their choice that they beg on streets. In fact, they often earns much more than people working 8 hours a day. And they don't pay taxes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Homelessness is a great problem in our society, but I have some mixed feelings about that. First of all, I often see beggars which work for some people - money which they obtain are for someone else. That is why I think giving them money is devoid of sense. I would rather give them place to work than money for free.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am sure that fist photo in your presentation was made on Krakowskie Przemieście Street :) Like we can see everyday homelessness is a huge problem in almost evry bigger city. There are a lot of drank old people or Romanian women with a small child even if it is cold weather. I can't understend that because these people had chosen the way to "earn money". In fact, we can see normal old people who beg to live and because of their age I believe that they can't find a job. In that situation I am agreeable to give some money.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Begging is very big problem which should be solve by the charities. But in many cases homeless or poor people don't want to take help from charities. For example alcoholics who are homeless don't want to live in institutions for homeless people becouse they can't drink there.
    For me the worst thing in this problem is abuse children to bigging. I often commuting by trams and there are Romanian wimen who I saw many times, they geting on the tram with children and begging. It is way for life for them.
    I agree that everyone deserves for second chance, but people must want to take it.

    ReplyDelete