Tuesday 14 April 2009

What makes people happy?



“Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony” Gandhi

“Think happy, act happy, be happy” David Baird

The studies tell us some things we really wanted to know! Like, people gardening are, on average, happier than people power boating. And chatting with friends gives more pleasure to most people than watching TV.

Happiness is one of the most interesting things for ordinary people. There are some things that you just can't change, like your genes and the country you grew up in. Yet experts say that your happiness is about half determined by these things.




money

Many of us think that being rich, able to afford to buy what we want, live in a good house and drive a flash car, would makes us happy. But we'd only be partly right.

People in the more affluent countries are generally happier than those in poorer countries, although there are many variations and anomalies. It is significant that in many of the wealthier countries improving lifestyle has become generally more important than increasing wealth.

SOMETHING FROM YOUTUBE:):)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxYvZI-wRRc&feature=PlayList&p=6A25239A88A45749&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIVPzIbEbRg&feature=PlayList&p=6A25239A88A45749&index=4

health & beauty

Here, the message seems to be much the same as for wealth. If you are really sick, getting well will probably make you happier. But if you are well, or only mildly ill, getting healthier will not increase your happiness much, and worrying about it will have an adverse effect. However, as we age, health becomes more important to happiness, so exercise, not smoking and sensible alcohol use become more important then.


work

People are generally happier when they are successfully doing something that absorbs them and challenges their skills. Thus, those who have meaningful work are generally happier than those who are stressed from over-work and those who have little to do. In particular, unemployment is one of the greatest causes of low wellbeing.

People doing volunteer work tend to be happier than those in paid work, perhaps because they are more connected to their community, or their work is more fulfilling. And people who are more educated seem to be happier, on the whole, than those who are not.



relationships

Happiness is linked to meaningful relationships. Living happily with a partner is one of the breatest sources of wellbeing. People who love, and those who are socially engaged, are happier "The happiest people spend the least time alone". Ideal is "one close relationship and a network of friends". Good relationships act as a buffer to other adverse circumstances such as illness or unemployment.

Married people (and surprisingly, those who have been widowed) tend to be the happiest of all, and those who live alone, especially those who have been divorced or are separated, tend to be the least happy. Children are a mixed blessing in their impact on wellbeing. If our income is sufficient, children do not significantly impact on wellbeing, but if our income is low, or we are a single parent, the stress of raising children increases and wellbeing is reduced.


So, what makes you happy?


http://www.negotiationlawblog.com/MM_Happiness.jpg

http://www.livingvalues.net/images/posters/Happiness3-7.jpg

http://www.successinspired.com/wp-content/uploads/Happiness--Henry-David-Thoreau-Magnet-C11750605.jpg

http://www.stevenaitchison.co.uk/blog/happiness%20at%20work.JPG

http://www.happinesstrainingplan.com/Happiness%20CD%20Strategies%20WEB.jpg

http://media.photobucket.com/image/happiness/heartsofparis/happiness.jpg

http://mysearchforhappiness.blogspot.com/2005/10/friggin-happiness-fairy.html

18 comments:

  1. I want to notice that everythings whats make people happy (money, beauty, work and relationship)can be also source of the worst trouble and unhappiness. Being healthy is only reason to feel realy happy,but we often forget about it and we underestimate our helth. We regard health as a constans until we lose it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose that any gold recipes for happiness don’t exist. Honestly, I don’t believe that happiness depends on some factors. In my opinion, people can be happy just because. Perhaps it depends on person. There are some people, who wakes up and feels happy, because the sun shines. They feel happy because world is beautiful and they will do many important things, meet many people. Everybody has his own definition of happiness. I think that life is too short for complaining.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that happiness depends ona a personality. For me, maybe not the greatest but always working recipe for happiness is a bar of chocolate ( well, maybe more than a bar :P )and spring with all it's sun and high temperature.

    What I am 100% sure is that lake of problems does not make you happy, so if something bad happens it doesn't mean you need to be unhappy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of us are from Management. From experience we know some things like happiness can't be quantify. But recently we were teached about contentment and discontentment. There were even charts showing curve of contentment. Conclusion from this lecture was very instructive: if you want be happy you should to consolidate failures and you shoul to split success. You are much happier if you find twice 100PLN than if you find 200PLN once!:D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe that people feel the happiest when they reach their 60s and 70s. It's obvious for me that we may ignore happiness when we spend all the time looking for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm.
    What makes me happy?
    I feel happy, than I see a big smile in my husband's, friend's and other people's faces. That smile means joy of living, even it takes so little time. I feel happy, than I can help someone and after that look at his/her face and see a smile of gratitude. There are many situations, than i feel happy, but these are most important for me:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What makes me happy? I think it is every thing that I like to do. Like watching a good movie, listening to favourite music, playing games, meeting friends reading a book etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that happiness is something depending only on ones character and life ideology.
    I feel happy when I can be with my friends and family and feel that they need me.
    I'm also happy when I can get away for a while and concentrate on my passion - horse-riding, feeling sun on my face and wind in my hair is precious for me and let me leave all the worries behind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don’t have any recipe for happines. Sometimes I’m happy without any reason, like Ola wrote. Because Sun is shining or my boyfriend has good humour, I don’t have to go to work, I can meet with my friends. We have so many situations for beeing happy but we don’t see it and we waste our time. Everybody know this song… Don’t worry! Be happy! :):):)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I sometimes think that the only thing which could make me happy is nature and peace. We know that money, work, career, qualifications, house etc. is ndispensable for life. But for me rest is very important and makes me happy. When I go on holiday, I always keep one's distance at all my life. I think what I sholud change and in which part of my life I am really happy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Although philosophers are working on the problem of happiness for many centuries, I know none universal solution. Of course everyone has unique needs and life expectations, but there are people who never enjoy their life. I perfectlly understand that ambition is part of human's nature, but it is important for psychological health to be able to find happiness even in hard life conditions. I think it is what Gandhi was teaching about.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I cannot agree that we are more happy in better work. Researches showed that people who are unhappy with their work, change it, after 6 months they will be on the same level of happiness as before changing the work. Also being ritch isn't as obvious as we think. In fact we are happier when we have more than people around as! Man in India who earns 1000$ is much happier than Englishman earning 5000$!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the last sentence about butterfly:)
    In my opinion there are few things and circumstances that make us feel happiness, and it is very subjective for every single human. For someone the most important is job and career, for someone else it is family. But I notice one regularity - harmony between all issues of our lives. Being 15h per day and per week at work without having some time with partner/friend is destroying. the same is when for example a mother spend her time only with children and husband without challenges or other duties even though family is the most important thing in her life. HARMONY rules! but I'm not Mahatma:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. There are many things that make me happy and I can’t choose one of them. I smile very often and even little things can make my day full of optimism. I cheer up when I meet someone who I really like and I haven’t seen him a long time, I’m happy when my boyfriend gives me a bouquet of flowers… and so on. I have to admit that all in all my life is very happy and I everything can make me cheerful if I only want to :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can tell you what I have discovered: that the easiest way to be happy is just to live: to have some duties but also to have time for freinds and for rest and thinking. All these activities (and many others) have to be balanced. Happiness is a balance in fact - just as a very clever man - Aristotle - said :D

    And the worst way to achive happiness is to think too much about it - to make the happiness the main goal in your life. Happiness comes when it's not being searched.

    And a very important thing: it's impossible to feel happy when you have some serious problems unsolved in your life. So my idea is trying to solve my problems as quickly as it's possible, not to think that if I forget about them, they will disappear. They won't. They will live in some unconscious place of my mind and they will poison and ruin my happiness :-o

    ReplyDelete
  16. In my opinion, we have huge influence on our moods. Sometimes we have very bad mood without the reason and we say that we "woke up on left leg". In the other hand, when it is beautiful shining morning we are happy. Everything depends on our charakter, temper or just other people and weather conditions.
    In fact, people who are active and viorous who have some hobbies are happier. Also it is important to do what you really like. Everything in our hands :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think that it is very hard to tell what can make human happy. Everyone is different, people have different necessities, dreams and their happiness depends on fulfil it. People who wants to be happy must obtaine for this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree that being close with a community makes people happier. That's why people who do some charity work tend to be more satisfied than people who work for big money.It is also important to be surrounded by people that you are comfortable with and you can count on. You should avoid stressful situations such as: getting married, arguing, children or policemen. :P

    ReplyDelete